Hi Marius,

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
mariusdumitru.flo...@xwiki.com> wrote:

> Hi Caty,
>
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
> <vali...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > A single wiki model is mostly used to demo XWiki and to test its
> features.
> > In production usually we have a multiwiki model, because of its
> > flexibility.
> >
> > Since 5.0M2 we also have virtual mode enabled by default, meaning that is
> > even easier to create and manage subwikis/workspaces.
> >

> > No matter if you want independent wikis or workspaces, both cases share a
> > Main Wiki. I propose to call the Main Wiki a 'Portal'.
>
> I'm not very convinced by the 'Portal' name because for me a portal
> (on the web) is something that aggregates information from various
> sources. The main wiki doesn't aggregate the sub wikis.
>

> > The Portal purpose is to:
> > - both: manage the wikis/workspaces, being the point where you create new
> > wikis/workspaces;
> > - both: help the navigation between wikis/workspaces, by being the 'home'
> > point for them;
> > - workspace: manage the global users, providing access to a User
> Directory;
>
> > - wikis: will provide a webhome (similar to what we have on myxwiki.org)
> > that states the purpose of the farm.
> >
> > Workspace already has a custom menu in which there is present the 'Main'
> > wiki
> >
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/PortalMenu/currentOverviewWorkspace453.png
> >

> > I've made a proposal for the content of the menus in
> > http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Improvements/PortalMenuthat we
> > shall discuss.
>
> The screenshots show what happens when you are on a sub wiki but what
> if you are on the main wiki? Is the 'Portal' menu 'duplicated'? If
> not, then what happens with menu entries like Watch and Document index
> that are on the 'wiki' menu. Are they moved to the 'Portal' when on
> the main wiki?

Right now on Workspaces we have like this:
- main wiki:
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/PortalMenu/WorkspacesDirectoryCurrent.png
- sub-wiki:
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/PortalMenu/MenuPortalCurrent.png

So the 'Portal' entry adds the 'Watch' and 'Document Index', and doesn't
duplicate the menus. This is how it works now. It makes a bit the
"Workspaces Directory" less visible, but maybe we can improve this.

Regarding the name, right now we don't have nothing custom done for the
'Portal', but for the workspace case I've said:
> - workspace: will provide a global view of users' activities in
workspaces;
> - workspace: manage the global users, providing access to a User
Directory;

this means the 'Portal' will contain on the homepage an "Activity Stream
allowing to follow the activity of all sub-wikis". I haven't made a
proposal for this part, but I will. The User Directory will be also located
here and will be global, so it kind of acts like a portal. Plus it will be
the central point for all the content.

We can still discuss the naming if you want. Another variant would be
"Home" - but is kind of ambiguous.

I'm still not sure if we want to keep the term separation for 'Wikis' and
'Workspaces'. In my mind now workspaces are gonna be default and the wikis
are gonna be just in the 'farm' mode when they are independent.
I know today we have:
- wikis in a farm: myxwiki.org - that are independent;
- wikis that are connected: xwiki.org, but they are not workspaces;
- workspaces - special case when normal users can create wikis.

In this proposal I made 'workspaces' as the default wiki creation mode in
'intranets' and kept 'wikis' just for the independent-'farm' mode. That's
why in my case 'Main Wiki' doesn't have sense, since it should be 'Main
Workspace' (and this actually is not correct). That's why I borrowed the
more generic term 'Portal' (from a discussion with Ludovic).

Thanks,
Caty