Note that you have a mail template for the notifications too. It's
https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/83b76ed4c26954aa2755bbdce23b32c41725ac06/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-notifications/xwiki-platform-notifications-ui/src/main/resources/XWiki/Notifications/MailTemplate.xml#L23
but it's not documented yet.

This mail template allows you to customize the header and the footer of the
email, but not the actual content.

To be precise, each *event type* can have its own template or failback to
the default one (
https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/acdf68f4c0d20a9b44ea48eec4df808e22c54548/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-web/src/main/webapp/templates/notification/email/default.html.vm
)

So it's a template *per event type* and it's not linked to any user choice.
But we could add some options in the default template for example.