On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 6:02 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea
<mariusdumitru.flo...@xwiki.com> wrote:
> [...]
> navigation panel to show the contents of this page.
>
> Pros:
> * Namespace isolation (no conflicts between user pages and application
> pages)
>
> Cons:
> * The user may want to navigate to a top level application page (although
> it's better to use the application panel for this instead)
> * All the paths / references used to access the user content will start
> with this "Content" page
>

> Solution 2: Blacklisting
>
> Add support for specifying a list of (top level) pages to exclude from the
> navigation panel.
>
> Pros:
> * The user (top level) pages created later on will be visible in the
> navigation panel
> * The blacklist could be used to filter not only top level pages but also
> any nested page from the navigation panel.
>
> Cons:
> * The blacklist depends on the installed apps. The administrator may have
> to update the blacklist when new applications are installed
> * The blacklist depends on whether you view hidden pages or not. If you
> don't view hidden pages then the blacklist probably contains 4 pages: Help,
> Menu, Sandbox, XWiki (there is an application panel entry for each of them
> except XWiki), which is manageable. If you view hidden pages then you need
> to black list 28+ pages which is hard to manage and maintain.
> * The filtering needs to happen on the database (otherwise we break the
> pagination) so the database queries will become a bit more complex, which
> could led to some performance penalty, depending on how long the blacklist
> is.
>

> Solution 3: Whitelisting
>
> Add support for controlling the list of top level pages that are displayed
> in the navigation panel.
>
> Pros:
> * the whitelist doesn't depend on the installed extensions or hidden pages
> so it's easier to maintain.
> * the whitelist can be used to order the top level pages visible in the
> navigation panel.
> * the whitelist can be used to show at the top level (for navigation
> purpose) a page that is not really a top level page
> * No performance penalty
>
> Cons:
> * The user (top level) pages created later on will not be visible in the
> navigation panel. The administrator will have to add them to the whitelist
> if they are useful for the navigation. Although creating top level pages
> should happen less often than creating nested pages under the existing top
> level pages.
> * the whitelist controls only the first level in the tree. The next levels
> will be dynamic (database queries) and with the default order.
>

> Solution 4: Exclude extension pages
>
> Exclude from the navigation panel the top level pages that belong to an
> installed extension, allowing the administrator to make some exceptions

Maybe a slightly better default criteria could be "extension page with
type denying edit" (which means things like Main.WebHome won't be
hidden by default).

> The rationale is that if an installed extension
> has a top level page then that page is most probably the application home
> page which should be accessible from the application panel. This can be
> implemented on top of solution 3 (the whitelist is basically dynamic: we
> collect the top level pages that don't belong to an extension).
>
> Pros:
> * It does a clear separation between applications (accessible from the
> application panel) and content (accessible from the navigation panel). The
> navigation panel is currently mixing application pages and (user) content
> pages.
> * The administrator doesn't need to update the navigation panel
> configuration to exclude a top level application home page each time an
> application is installed
> * The hidden top level extension code pages are not shown even when "show
> hidden pages" is set to true
> * The user top level pages created later on appear in the tree automatically
>

> Cons:
> * The user won't be able to navigate easily to an application home page:
> ** if the application panel is not shown
> ** or if the application doesn't provide an application panel entry
> ** or if the administrator has removed the entry from the application panel

Isn't this going to be a pain for pagination too since it's based on
an information which is not stored in the database ?

> I prefer solution 4.
>
> WDYT?
>
> Thanks,
> Marius