On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 11:58 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
vali...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 7:02 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> mariusdumitru.flo...@xwiki.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > Some users have complained that the navigation panel shows top level
> pages
> > that they don't need/want to navigate to, most importantly the XWiki
> page.
> >
> > There are multiple ways in which we can fix this.
> >
> > Solution 1: Content Page
> >
> > Create a top level "Content" page for user content and configure the
> > navigation panel to show the contents of this page.
> >
> > Pros:
> > * Namespace isolation (no conflicts between user pages and application
> > pages)
> >
> > Cons:
> > * The user may want to navigate to a top level application page (although
> > it's better to use the application panel for this instead)
> > * All the paths / references used to access the user content will start
> > with this "Content" page
> >

> S1: This solution is good if users would work in isolation or in the
> evaluation period, but for team and multiple people sharing spaces, I don't
> see this as a valid solution.

The Content space is for all users, shared. This is not about having a
separate space for each user.

> [...]
> pages
> > so it's easier to maintain.
> > * the whitelist can be used to order the top level pages visible in the
> > navigation panel.
> > * the whitelist can be used to show at the top level (for navigation
> > purpose) a page that is not really a top level page
> > * No performance penalty
> >
> > Cons:
> > * The user (top level) pages created later on will not be visible in the
> > navigation panel. The administrator will have to add them to the
> whitelist
> > if they are useful for the navigation. Although creating top level pages
> > should happen less often than creating nested pages under the existing
> top
> > level pages.
> > * the whitelist controls only the first level in the tree. The next
> levels
> > will be dynamic (database queries) and with the default order.
> >

> S3: I prefer this solution, but with the ability to also display some
> dynamic pattern, something like: display X, Y and all children of Z, or
> all pages starting with A, or all pages created by group N :) (they are
> just ideas, I know some are very hard to implement).
>  +1
>

> > Solution 4: Exclude extension pages
> >
> > Exclude from the navigation panel the top level pages that belong to an
> > installed extension, allowing the administrator to make some exceptions
> > (e.g. keep the home page). The rationale is that if an installed
> extension
> > has a top level page then that page is most probably the application home
> > page which should be accessible from the application panel. This can be
> > implemented on top of solution 3 (the whitelist is basically dynamic: we
> > collect the top level pages that don't belong to an extension).
> >
> > Pros:
> > * It does a clear separation between applications (accessible from the
> > application panel) and content (accessible from the navigation panel).
> The
> > navigation panel is currently mixing application pages and (user) content
> > pages.
> > * The administrator doesn't need to update the navigation panel
> > configuration to exclude a top level application home page each time an
> > application is installed
> > * The hidden top level extension code pages are not shown even when "show
> > hidden pages" is set to true
> > * The user top level pages created later on appear in the tree
> > automatically
> >
> > Cons:
> > * The user won't be able to navigate easily to an application home page:
> > ** if the application panel is not shown
> > ** or if the application doesn't provide an application panel entry
> > ** or if the administrator has removed the entry from the application
> panel
> >

> S4: I don't know if for our users this separation between apps and content

I think our users (or their administrators at least) want to separate the
applications from the content. So I think it would be good to have
something dedicated to applications, the application panel, and something
dedicated to content, the navigation panel.

> Also they might create their own apps and they will want
> those to be part of the navigation.

They would want to have an entry in the application panel like the rest of
the apps I think.