On 05/31/2018 05:44 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:

>> On 31 May 2018, at 17:28, Clément Aubin <aubincl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 05/31/2018 04:42 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:
>>
>> […]

>>> Did I say we should not think about it?
>>
>> Oh I'm sure that you didn't said that, but this would need a more
>> in-depth investigation, and not just 2 days of implementation.
>
> No no this is out of scope for now.
>

>>> Also as I wrote you can send to a group and to everyone too so yes you can
>>> send to multiple people.
>>
>> I'm not talking about sending a message to groups, but to multiple
>> individuals.
>
> I know and out of scope for now.

>>> Ok so we have a big disagreement:
>>> * You say “displaying notifications in the proposed way is bad thing and
>>> there’s no use case for it”
>>
>> Please don't rephrase me like that :) . The current notifications are,
>> IMO correctly displayed (and we're not debating about how to display
>> notifications AFAIK).
>
> Sorry I meant ‘displaying messages in the notifications UI in the proposed
> way is a bad thing and there’s no use case for it”
>
>> However, I don't think that the notification
>> center has been crafted to correctly display user messages. Merging
>> events coming from the wiki and messages coming from the message stream
>> is tricky.
>
> Why? They’re both coming from the same location, i.e. event table…

Mostly because user messages (as in private, user to user messages) can
be related from one to another (ie : the message B that you just sent me
is a response from the message A that I sent you). You will then need
some context to display the response from someone in your notification
center. I don't think that we have an easy way to do that now.

>>> * I say “‘displaying notifications for those who want to send messages to a
>>> single person, to a group or to everyone is better than not being able to
>>> do it”.
>>>
>>> Also note that it’s disabled by default ATM so by default you get what you
>>> want, i.e. nothing!
>>
>> It's disabled by default for now, but it's actually proposed to enable
>> it, else the proposal (2) would not make any sense.
>
> It’s not proposed FTM. Maybe you’re mixing the display of messages when there
> are some with the messageSender macro usage on the dashboard?

I'm talking about user messages as in [1] ; so private, user to user
messages.

> [...]
>>>
>>> I disagree with you and I’ve already explained in details the reasons in a
>>> bullet point list.

>>> The event stream has nothing to do with weight. It’s a timeline thing. It’s
>>> like saying: “having emails displayed in the order they are sent is a bad
>>> idea”.
>>
>> Using your example, you're not just displaying emails, you're also
>> displaying a ton of notifications about the documents that have been
>> updated in your wiki.
>
> We’re displaying notifications.
>

>>> The way even stream events are displayed is an implementation detail. They
>>> can be filtered, grouped, etc.
>>
>> I don't think that you should require a user to tune his notification
>> preferences in order not to be flooded by notifications. Having messages
>> is kind of a risk here because this implementation detail does not
>> protect the user enough from the messages hiding other important events.
>
> I don’t understand your point. Why would a user tune anything? A user simply
> says what notifications they’re interested in seeing.
>
> If they select too many then they’ll have the same issue you have with email
> :)

>>> Then you shouldn’t care at all since it’s not going to be used and you’re
>>> not the one implementing it. It’s also off by default.
>>
>> See the beginning of my response.
>>
>>> So reading between the line, in the end you’re saying:
>>> * We shouldn’t have a messaging feature because what we need is a chat
>>> feature
>>
>> Actually, I don't think that a chat feature would be mandatory, but I do
>> think that it would be more attracting to people.
>>
>>> * There’s no way that people could use messages, it’s not useful
>>
>> I see some use cases for live messages, but I'm indeed having a hard
>> time seeing use cases for non-live messages as people can use another
>> chat tool aside from their wiki if we don't propose an "inbox" solution.
>>
>> It won't be reliable to send a message as :
>> * It can be filtered out by the recipient notification preferences
>> * It can be ditched in the bottom of the notifications of a user if he /
>> she does not clean his / her notifications quickly enough
>> * There's no way to access this message once the notification center has
>> been cleared
>>
>>> What I’m saying:
>>> * We don't have chat feature and that’s a very large feature to develop
>>> with a completely different architecture.
>>
>> At least we agree on that :)
>>
>>> * A messaging feature is still interesting even if we have a chat feature
>>> one day. Example use case: "send a message to everyone that the xwiki will
>>> be be upgraded tomorrow”, “ notify a group of person to review a document”,
>>> etc.
>>
>> Note that what you described are events and can actually be implemented
>> using the event stream, so I'm not sure that those are correct examples.
>
> A message is an event for which the content is defined by the user. Not sure

Not sure about what you mean too then … following your definition, [1]
is then a user message and [2] and [3] are not. At least, that's what I
understand as "user messages".

>>> * It costs little to be back to iso feature (1-2 days) and it’s taking
>>> almost the same amount of time just to discuss not doing it in this thread
>>> ;)
>>
>> I don't like this idea as this is kind of discouraging the discussion on
>> features that we have to put in the platform ([1], especially "Ensure
>> agreement on the work being done (it's too stupid to do a lot of work
>> and only find when it's finished that it wasn't the right way to do it
>> and it has to be all redone again)") ;)
>
> What? You lost me completely here.
>
> Why does it discourage discussions to implement something?
>
> If you’re interested in working on a chat system in xwiki, please knock
> yourself up and start a proposal/discussion. Nobody is preventing you from
> doing that.
>
> Thanks
> -Vincent
>

>>> * I don’t see why messaging would be bad and affect the XWiki usage
>> negatively. Especially since message stream is off by default.
>>
>> See the beginning of my response.
>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent
>>
>> Thanks,