Hi Guillaume,

> On 31 May 2018, at 11:46, Guillaume Delhumeau <guillaume.delhum...@xwiki.com>
> wrote:
>
> Notifications application is almost ready to replace the Activity Stream's
> UI. The only remaining thing is the display
> of the messages from the Message Stream in the Notifications.
>
> We have made a quick brainstorming with Caty and Vincent, and here is our
> conclusions.
>
> 1/ We think it make sense to display user messages in the notifications
> because it is typically what notifications
> are made for: pop-up important information concerning what the user cares.
> In the past, we decided to disable the
> Message Stream by default because messages were lost in the Activity
> Stream. But in the case of the notifications, users
> can chose what they want to receive so there is less chance to miss
> messages in the middle of thousand of events.
>
> 2/ Like all other types of notification, there should be a button in the
> notification settings of each user to decide to
> enable or disable these messages in the notifications. It should be enabled
> by default.
>
> 3/ We should add the "send message" gadget in the "alert" menu (via an UIX)
> so it's easy to find and to send messages.

We actually mentioned that this would be for later and that Caty would start an
investigation on this.

> 4/ Provide a form to be able to reply to a personal message.

Same here (for later).

> 5/ Let the message stream disabled by default. Users who are used to it
> will not lose the feature but we don't make it
> visible for now until we make some other improvements.

Actually we didn’t talk much about this. But we can decide what we do once the
support is back in the notifications UI.

> This is what I am starting to implement right now with the hope it's done
> for XWiki 10.5.

Note that points 3 and 4 are not meant to be implemented now. FTM just
displaying the messages in the Notif UI.

> In the future, we should add the following features:
>
> a/ Having a real "inbox" application (a "Message Center") to handle all
> messages.

We didn’t really discuss this. But this should go in Caty’s investigation.

> b/ Be notified when someone mention you in a content or in a comment
> (example: "@vmassol: You may want to read this
> page" will trigger a notification to Vincent Massol).
>
> c/ Handling correcty messages sent to a group if the first implementation
> do not handle it (group filtering could be a problem
> with SQL).

Yes we said the first impl will support at least messages sent to a user and to
all.

Thanks
-Vincent