Hi Vincent

> Hi devs,
>
> Now that Notifications is providing an equivalent feature (and supposedly
> much faster, we still need some measurements on that!), we need to think
> about decommissioning the AS and Watchlist features.
>
> Decommissioning means moving them to xwiki-attic IMO.
>
> So the questions:
>
> * Are there any features still missing to replace the AS? For example the
> AS had the ability to display a RSS feed and other parameters, see
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Activity%20Macro#
> HParametersdefinition. Are all of these having equivalents or other ways
> of doing them?

* We have an RSS view, but it's not available from the macro. So it need to
be added if we want to keep it.
* We don't have a "tag" filter. Need to be added.

> * Personal note and especially for Caty: I don’t like too much the big
> icons that we have ATM. For example http://extensions.xwiki.org/
> xwiki/bin/view/Extension/User%20Profile%20Application#
> HSeetheNetworkActivity. I don’t think the replacement of the main AS with
> the notifications macro will look very nice with these icons. I already
> stated that I thought the user-focused view was much nicer visually but I
> was one of the few to think so from what I remember ;) Still even if we
> keep the icons, I think there’s some work to make the UI more appealling
> visually. WDYT?
>
> * When can we replace AS with notifications macro? I’d suggest to do that
> for 10.6-RC1. WDYT? AFAIK there are 2 places: user profiles + Dashboard
> home page.

If we don't care about the 2 remaining items I've mentioned above, we could
do it for 10.6RC1.

> * Once the previous item is done, can we remove AS + watchlist from XS
> easily now? What does it entail, just moving xwiki-platform-watchlist and
> xwiki-platform-activitystream. Actually I think we need to first move the
> message stream sending UI to another place. I’d propose inside the alert
> menu as a UIX when message stream is enabled (that would be fast and simple
> to do and we could tune the location later, it doesn’t matter much since
> it’s off by default anyway). Could we do this in XWiki 10.6RC1?

We can only get rid of Activity Stream's UI. Because the storage is still
implemented by Activity Stream's API (as the unique implementation of
xwiki-platform-eventstream).

> * Anything else I’ve forgotten?
>
> So the plan seems to be, in this order:
> 1) Replace AS with notifications macro.
> 2) Move Message Stream sending UI outside of AS

I'm not sure I understand. The Message Sender Macro is defined in
https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-messagestream/xwiki-platform-messagestream-ui/src/main/resources/Main/MessageSenderMacro.xml
so I don't think we need to move something out of AS.

> 3) Move xwiki-platform-watchlist and xwiki-platform-activitystream to
> xwiki-attic and update their docs on e.x.o to explain how to put them back
> if needed

IMO we should wait for the next cycle to move the modules out.

> Thanks
> -Vincent

Guillaume Delhumeau (guillaume.delhum...@xwiki.com)
Committer on the XWiki.org project