> On 31 Oct 2018, at 10:28, Adel Atallah <adel.atal...@xwiki.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 9:07 AM Vincent Massol <vinc...@massol.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> We currently have
>> https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DatabaseSupportStrategy
>>
>> However, it doesn’t say explicitly which versions we officially support:
>> * For HSQLDB it says 2.3.3 which is wrong since the latest version is 2.4.1
>> * For MySQL it says 5.x but doesn’t specify which specific version(s)
>> * Same for other DBs
>>
>> We cannot really support every versions since supporting means testing too.
>>
>> So what I propose:
>>
>> Question 1: definition
>>
>> * We say we support the latest stable version of the databases for a given
>> version cycle
>> ** For MySQL, it’s the latest of the 5.x cycle, which is 5.7.24 as of today
>> (see https://hub.docker.com/_/mysql/)
>> ** For PostgreSQL,  it’s the latest of the 9.x cycle, which is 9.6.10 as of
>> today (see https://hub.docker.com/_/postgres/)
>> ** For Oracle, it’s the latest of the 11.x cycle, which is 11.2.0.4.0 as of
>> today (see
>> https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/index.html)
>>

> Does it also mean that we will have to add a step in the release
> process to update these versions?

Two things here:
* We already update the versions from time to time but yes we should monitor
this better. Note sure it should be in the release process though.
* On the testing side, if we use the “latest” tag then we’ll use automatically
the latest version from the official docker image.

>> Question 2: review what we support
>>
>> * For MySQL I think we could also start supporting MySQL 8.x (ie the latest
>> version of that cycle). We have an issue open for it currently:
>> https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15215
>> * For PostgreSQL we could also start supporting versions 11.x (ie the latest
>> version of that cycle)
>> * For Oracle, we could also start supporting versions 12.x (ie the latest
>> version of that cycle)
>>

> This will probably require more effort to support these versions but
> it might be a good reason to update Hibernate :).

Note: The new automatic testing will make it simpler to support them (at least
to test them).

>> Question 3: decide if we drop some support
>>
>> * Is there any cycle that we should support for? Right now I think that
>> MySQL 5.x is still heavily used, same for postgreSQL 9.x I guess. Don’t know
>> for Oracle.
>> * Any idea?
>>

> I don't think we should drop support for older database versions as it
> would require some users to upgrade their database.

Sure but that’s normal ;) We can’t support all past versions so we need to draw
the line somewhere… It doesn’t mean it’s not going to work with old versions,
it means we don’t test for them and don’t do extra effort to make XWiki work on
them (if contributors submit PRs we will apply them).

Thanks
-Vincent