> On 14 Nov 2018, at 15:58, Eduard Moraru <enygma2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 3:21 PM Vincent Massol <vinc...@massol.net> wrote:
>

>>> On 13 Nov 2018, at 11:58, Vincent Massol <vinc...@massol.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> There are 2 questions here:
>>> * Should we add support for MariaDB? And if so which versions. Just
>> found that there’s an official docker image for it so it should be
>> relatively easy to support MariaDB in our docker-based testing framework:
>> https://hub.docker.com/_/mariadb/ (TestContainers also has a wrapper now
>> for MariaDB:
>> https://github.com/testcontainers/testcontainers-java/tree/master/modules/mariadb).
>> Note that the MariaDB versions don’t match the MySQL versions.
>>
>> FTR, I’ve tried adding support for MariaDB and it’s currently not working,
>> because of
>> https://github.com/testcontainers/testcontainers-java/issues/949. But we
>> could provide a PR to them with not so big efforts or using a
>> GenericContainer (less nice).
>>

> Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it looks like we're mixing XWiki's support
> of the MariaDB database itself with XWiki's test infrastructure's
> capability to support a MariaDB database container, which looks a bit
> off-topic to me. I get that we need it integrated in our tests to detect
> anomalies, but I don't really see it as an eliminatory criterion.

I agree. Some comments:

1) This thread was not about deciding which DB to support. It was to define a
strategy to be more explicit in the versions that we support for the various
already supported DBs.
2) I also started this thread because the goal is to automate the tests. If the
idea is to add more work for manual tests then the answer is no, we don’t want
to increase the # of DBs we support since we don’t have the manpower to do
that. At least I would be against it simply because we can’t do it for
practical purposes.
3) MariaDB support in TC is not a big deal, as I mentioned already (there are
several ways to fix it).
4) As I said on this thread, there are only 2 questions to answer from my POV:
* Should we add support for MariaDB? And if so which versions.
* Should we drop support for MySQL?

Thanks
-Vincent