> On 29 Mar 2019, at 10:33, Simon Urli <simon.u...@xwiki.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Vincent,
>
> On 29/03/2019 10:27, Vincent Massol wrote:
>> Hi devs,
>> I'd like to discuss about introducing a checker in the tests to fail the
>> test if there's a warning message about a deprecated APIs being used in
>> scripts.
>> For example:
>> ```
>> 23:59:28.308 [main] INFO  org.xwiki.test.ui.TestDebugger -
>> GroupIT-addUserAndSubgroupToGroup started
>> 23:59:32.593 [Exec Stream Pumper] ERROR o.x.t.i.XWikiLogOutputStream -
>> 2019-03-28 23:59:32,593
>> [http://localhost:8080/xwiki/bin/view/XWiki/XWikiPreferences?xpage=getgroups&offset=1&limit=15&reqNo=1]
>>  WARN  o.x.v.i.DefaultVelocityEngine  - Deprecated usage of method
>> [com.xpn.xwiki.plugin.rightsmanager.RightsManagerPluginApi.countAllMembersNamesForGroup]
>>  in 21:/templates/getgroups.vm@62,37
>> 23:59:35.824 [Exec Stream Pumper] ERROR o.x.t.i.XWikiLogOutputStream -
>> 2019-03-28 23:59:35,824
>> [http://localhost:8080/xwiki/bin/view/XWiki/XWikiPreferences?xpage=getgroups&offset=1&limit=15&reqNo=2]
>>  WARN  o.x.v.i.DefaultVelocityEngine  - Deprecated usage of method
>> [com.xpn.xwiki.plugin.rightsmanager.RightsManagerPluginApi.countAllMembersNamesForGroup]
>>  in 18:/templates/getgroups.vm@62,37
>> 23:59:41.349 [Exec Stream Pumper] ERROR o.x.t.i.XWikiLogOutputStream -
>> 2019-03-28 23:59:41,348
>> [http://localhost:8080/xwiki/bin/view/XWiki/XWikiPreferences?xpage=getgroups&offset=1&limit=15&reqNo=3]
>>  WARN  o.x.v.i.DefaultVelocityEngine  - Deprecated usage of method
>> [com.xpn.xwiki.plugin.rightsmanager.RightsManagerPluginApi.countAllMembersNamesForGroup]
>>  in 21:/templates/getgroups.vm@62,37
>> 23:59:58.503 [main] INFO  org.xwiki.test.ui.TestDebugger -
>> GroupIT-addUserAndSubgroupToGroup passed
>> ```
>> Rationale:
>> * This adds warnings in the xwiki logs when users navigate to those pages
>> which isn’t nice.
>> * It also helps reducing the number of deprecated methods we use (I have the
>> feeling this is not reducing) and helps us move towards being able to move
>> the deprecated code to legacy.
>> WDYT?
>
> Is it possible to start by doing this in a specific job and see the result?
> If there's not much to fix then we can fix them and add this to the main
> build.
>
> I'm a bit afraid that we reproduce what happens with wcag: lots of failing
> test coming and not much bandwidth to fix them all so starting to "accept"
> failing tests where we shouldn’t.

We can do what we usually do for checks: we have the ability to enable/disable
them per module. So the strategy is:

* Enable the check by default
* Set it to not execute for all modules
* Check which modules pass when it’s enabled and remove the property from their
pom.xml. This allows to no longer have deprecation regressions in that module.
* Then start fixing the deprecations module per module and remove the property
there too.

But first, we need to decide if we agree about doing this. Do you agree?

Thanks
-Vincent