> On 12 Apr 2019, at 17:00, Thomas Mortagne <thomas.morta...@xwiki.com> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> tomcat9 package is now available in Debian repositories so I would
> like to start providing xwiki-tomcat9-* Debian packages of XWiki.
>
> Nothing complex so far but it if we provide an official tomcat 9
> oriented package it would also make more sense to add Tomcat 9 in
> https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/SupportStrategy/ServletContainerSupportStrategy/
> (only Tomcat 8 right now).
>
> Another argument is that it's the current recommended stable version
> from Tomcat point of view so people will use it more and more.
>
> WDYT ?

In principle it’s good but it means doing a lot more tests to officially
support it and we’re already doing a lot. So I’m not very inclined to add new
config tests. It adds a lot of hours to the build. I’d prefer that we keep
officially supporting only a single version if we can. Same as for jetty for ex.

BTW could you provide the URLs for the various debian repos (oldstable, stable,
unstable) so that we can check the precise Tomcat versions?

BTW I also noticed that https://packages.debian.org/sid/tomcat8 doesn’t exist
anymore. It’s been removed? This link is in our doc at
https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/SupportStrategy/ServletContainerSupportStrategy/

Thanks
-Vincent