On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 5:07 PM Vincent Massol <vinc...@massol.net> wrote:

> > On 12 Apr 2019, at 17:00, Thomas Mortagne <thomas.morta...@xwiki.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > tomcat9 package is now available in Debian repositories so I would
> > like to start providing xwiki-tomcat9-* Debian packages of XWiki.
> >
> > Nothing complex so far but it if we provide an official tomcat 9
> > oriented package it would also make more sense to add Tomcat 9 in
> > https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/SupportStrategy/ServletContainerSupportStrategy/
> > (only Tomcat 8 right now).
> >
> > Another argument is that it's the current recommended stable version
> > from Tomcat point of view so people will use it more and more.
> >
> > WDYT ?
>
> In principle it’s good but it means doing a lot more tests to officially
> support it and we’re already doing a lot. So I’m not very inclined to add new
> config tests. It adds a lot of hours to the build. I’d prefer that we keep
> officially supporting only a single version if we can. Same as for jetty for
> ex.
>
> BTW could you provide the URLs for the various debian repos (oldstable,
> stable, unstable) so that we can check the precise Tomcat versions?

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=tomcat9 so 9.0.16. It's
available in the stable branch trough backport repository (stable
branch never get new major version directly).

> BTW I also noticed that https://packages.debian.org/sid/tomcat8 doesn’t exist
> anymore. It’s been removed? This link is in our doc at
> https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/SupportStrategy/ServletContainerSupportStrategy/

This is the URL for sid only which is the unstable branch. Not really
sure if it's like this on purpose or if it's a mistake but it will
continue to be available for a very long time in the stable branch for
sure anyway. On Tomcat side there is no date announced for 8.5.x end
of life.

--
Thomas Mortagne