So trying to sum up the discussion to see if we all agree.

All the above is in the case of a save conflict:

1. Default behaviour for all users is to try an automatic merge, and to display a window conflict resolution in case of merge conflict. The conflict resolution is an all-or-nothing based, allowing to choose a version over another.

2. There is an option in the user profile to be able to always see the diff in case of save conflict, to accept or not the merge, even when there's no conflict.

3. When a user save with a merge, the notification message displays that it's a merge save. It means that user clicking on "save&view" might miss it.

Those are the first three priority points. The following points are important too, but might not be finished in 11.5.

4. If another user saved a document that I'm editing, I have a notification in the editor and I can click on it to see the diff/conflicts

5. The conflict resolution is line-by-line based.

WDYT?
Simon