I’ve faced something similar before, and if I remember correctly the key here
is this:

> new dataset and assigned this data set to a given organization unit group I
> had created.

Assignment through orgunit groups «override» whatever other assignments you
have made. So I think if you remove the dataset from that group, things will
return to normal. Then you can use the group instead in the regular «data set
assignment» page to assign the dataset to the group members.

This behaviour is a bit strange in my opinion, as I think most people will
assume that if they assign something through a group AND manually, the orgunit
will have access all those datasets.

Olav