On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Brian Bruns wrote:
> > BTW, one of the other admins at my work asked me to put a date on the
> > document I had given her.  Is there any provision for a date field? (You
> > know, the ones that are filled in when printed, or in our case exported
> > to EPS) if not I'll cook up an object. Just a quick question, I would
> > think the proper place for it is in standard objects, but where do we show
> > it on screen? I would think the proper way to do it is to put one of those
> > little arrows in the bottom corner of Text icon and have it slide out, ala
> > Photoshop, but I have no idea how to implement that. On the other hand it
> > would probably be useful for other applications (I haven't seen any other
> > gtk apps do this...maybe somebody has done it?).  Of course there are
> > probably alot of these kind of fields possible, date, page number, total
> > pages, file name, etc...
>
> I don't know how to implement that either. But it (or something like it)
> would be needed so we don't get an icon per field.

Hmmm...I might persue this as a long term project...

> It could also be done by adding a generic 'Field' object, which has a
> property that says what kind of field it is (date, page #, etc). Then you
> could use object defaults to change what kind of object you want to create
> (double-click on icon-button in tool-window).

This I like! I'll start on implementing it this way.

> > The other feature I'm interested in is the ability to drag the object tabs
> > out of the notebook. For instance when doing my Sybase drawings I have to
> > flip between the Sybase tab (forgot to bring them home from work
> > today...expect them tommorow evening) and the Network tab.  Pulling them
> > into their own window via handle box would be a great convenience.  Has
> > anyone investigated this?
>
> Ohh, doing Dia programming at work? Anyway, you could add the relevant
> network objects into the sybase sheet.

The main one is the database can, although it will certainly warrant it
when the Network tab grows to 30+ objects, and becomes cumbersome to fit
in that little panel :) I have a network cloud object I'm working on, but
can't getting it looking exactly how I want. I'll forward it when it's
ready. (We have a frame relay cloud that I need to represent).

Brian