On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I just noticed today that I can't connect objects in different layers.
> You can't even change an object's layer.  You have to cut it and paste
> it.  Is this correct?
>
> I'd really like to see the ability to at least connect objects in
> different layers.  How easy would this source code change be Alex?

But how should this work?  It's a good thing that you can seperate things
that you don't want to automatically connect into seperate layers.  So I
don't think the normal method of connecting should work between layers.
Should we have an explicit connect?  Or an option in the layers dialog to
say which layers auto-connect?
Just a few days ago, when talking about Undo, I noted how the very fact
that you can't connect between layers makes it easier to do undo of layers.

> Other basic layer-specific features I'd like to see are:
> * the ability to hide entires layers for display and for EPS export

That's what the eye in the layers dialog is for.  It also hides it in EPS,
though the bounding box is now correctly calculated.

> * the ability to change an object's layer without having to cut & paste

That's probably easy, once we figure out what to do about inter-layer
connections.

-Lars

--
Lars R. Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)   Hårdgrim of Westfield
"I do not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your