On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, James Henstridge wrote:

> The one benefit of multiple windows is being able to view and quickly
> select objects from two different sheets at the same time.  Is there
> anyone who would find this useful?

Yes. When you define the implementation of a GRAFCET spec for a
Schneider/Télémécanique or a Siemens automat, (and most probably others
brands as well), you need to keep both GRAFCET and LADDER sheets at hand.
Well, normally, you define that implementation in their proprietary
software, but I need to make nice presentations and documents about these
implementations (thus the LADDER sheet).

However, the current UI is good enough for me, with just four adjustments
I'm too {laz|bus}y to code for the moment [more urgent would be to
convert my recent objects to the new properties code], so please ignore at
will :
        1) a way to select the order in which sheets are displayed
(currently, it's whatever the filesystem decides to do). Also a way to
hide some sheets would be good too (right-click will be a nightmare when
we have more than a dozen sheets).
        1bis) right-click-in-notebook-tab should perhaps be made more
publicly known. I've learned about this behaviour on this list (but now
use it extensively).
        2) The sheet notebook tab's arrow buttons should not only scroll
the tabs, but also select a sheet (so you just have to click once to go to
the nearby sheet)
        3) The toolbox should not enlarge objects, but put as many objects
as its size allows on a single line, as was just discussed.
        4) There should be some kind of "separator" in the sheets (think
like the HTML <HR> tag) so that you could still do some logical "grouping"
in sheets. That probably means some influence on 3)'s implementation.

        -- Cyrille

Grumpf.