Le Fri, May 11, 2001, à 04:44:54PM -0500, Lars Clausen a écrit:

> > However, if you really are, then maybe this would give rotated text
> > (<kidding>I've already done this, bwahahahaha</kidding>).
>
> No, the FreeType library renders for us.  Including rotating^H^H^Hed text.
>
> > Simple problem: how do you know what the font path is (call&parse "xset
> > q", OK), and how to access the non-local fonts (ban XFS-accessed fonts,
> > acceptable if we ban X terminals, OK).
>
> I don't, FreeType does.

Well, if all the "new" development is doing the right calls to FreeType (or
different library), then it makes a lot of sense to try to use it (with a
proper abstraction layer, of course. Would that be different flavours of
Renderers, or a specific FontRenderer interface ? At least in the former
case, there is some refactoring badly needed in app/display.c (that file
makes way too much #ifdefs and assumptions about the Renderer's identity.
Probably that functionality needs to move into InteractiveRenderer or a new
RendererCanvas to clean things up [that was showing itself very desireable
already when I was experimenting with DPS]

[DPS]
> When I tried it out, it didn't seem ready at all.  Lots of bugs and
> crashes.

Well, there were some issues to iron out with my DPS patch (a few crashes,
though I thing I've had killed the biggest issue), the biggest being using
DPS remotely through SSH (I'm a SSH junkie, even on my home network).

> > We *will* have to use Pango when we can use it, anyway. I don't know for
> > you, but I really don't want to handle i18n and multiple scripts
> > myself. The Pango team has done it, already (well, sort of, otherwise
> > we'd already just linked it up).
>
> How much difference will it be to use Pango?  I would like to have all text
> handling encapsulated (no calls to gtk_text_width etc), so we can easily
> pick.  And note that I'm suggesting this as an optional library.

It would probably not make too much difference (but I haven't really looked
at it). The FontRenderer interface (let's call it that way for this thread)
should probably talk UTF-8 (we have charconv to go back and forth), though.

        -- Cyrille

--
Grumpf.