I saw that xfig uses groups and a nice format for its parser, I will try to
rewrite the DXF importer along those lines.

At 07:42 AM 5.16.2001 +0200, Steffen Macke wrote:
>Hi,
>
> > scaling, and rotation. The current impelmentation of the dxf-import.c
> > ignores all blocks. From my two hours of looking a the source tarball from
> > Dia 0.88, it seems that the parallel structure in Dia would be shapes.
>
>Wouldn't groups be enough? The dxf-import could then look up the BLOCK in the
>DXF and draw it as a group everywhere it is inserted.

Isn't this wasteful in terms of memory, and the possiblity to modify once
and have the change reflected in many insertions of the same group?

>Shapes don't get stored along with the dia file - they would be lost after
>saving the dxf as a dia file.

Too bad. What would it involve to allow shapes to be stored in a dia file?