Hi,

> Isn't this wasteful in terms of memory, and the possiblity to modify once
> and have the change reflected in many insertions of the same group?

Do you really import such huge CAD files into dia that memory becomes a problem?

> Too bad. What would it involve to allow shapes to be stored in a dia file?

I'm not sure, maybe it would be easier to store the shapes in separate files
and add the path of the *.dia-file to the shape search path (currently dia is
only looking for shapes at program startup). This would even allow to have
multiple version of a shape with the same name in different directories.

Steffen