North Carolina has in place an effort to address just the issues you raise in
your e-mail. Check out www.e-nc.org <http://www.e-nc.org/>  for an introduction
to the e-NC Authority. For the past six years e-NC has been working through
primary research, adoption of best practices in technology-based economic
development, community engagement, and connectivity incentive grants to improve
access and utilization of broadband-based resources in the state's 85 rural
counties and disadvantaged urban communities. We have found that our efforts
and resources have been about equally divided between improving the supply and
the demand sides of the connectivity equation. There has been significant
improvement over this six-year span, moving NC from among the lowest tier in
connectivity to the top quartile. We have distilled to practice some of the
lessons learned in the form of on-line toolkits and research reports. We have
funded 7 telecenters in the most distressed regions of the state, centers that
are truly transforming the perceptions and prospects of the regions they serve.
Each telecenter is customized to the particular situation of its local economy
and leadership. Collectively, they have created over 1,000 high-value jobs and
provided critical technical support services to local government, education and
businesses. Sustainability of the telecenters remains a challenge but they
continue to surmount obstacles and gather growing local and national
recognition. You may be interested in an e-NC program where we partnered with
the US Department of Commerce's Technology Opportunities Program in an 24 month
long structured e-government effort. This initiative, called LEG-UP for Local
E-Government Utilization Program, delivered training and technical assistance
and provided equipment and connectivity grants that funded the development of
interactive and transactional e-government functionality to almost 60 municipal
and county governments in North Carolinas' rural regions. We have learned a lot
and are still learning as much remains to be done.

Deborah Watts Sr. Director, Research and Grants, The e-NC Authority.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Dave Jenkins