Access to health information is vital through ICT and people-ICT
connections.   For examples of Benefits of Broadband in health care in
Illinois, see link below to Consumer Demand committee report of Illinois
Broadband Deployment Council released in graphic-text form on July 24 in
Chicago at Illinois house of representatives committee hearing on
Digital Government.

Note Illinois rural healthnet project has been awarded 3 year FCC $21
million grant for rural ICT infrastructure connections among hospitals,
health institutions and clinics, and with potential for connection with
urban areas, as part of over $400 million in national Universal Service
commitments (from phone user fees) pilot program in many states
announced last December.

The need now in all states is to generate matching funds to launch major
ICT infrastructure efforts, including to provide fiber and wireless
access to lower the costs of data intensive communications (e.g.
radiology, cardiology, pediatrics, psychiatry) as well as to work with
community health information outreach and health fair networks in
underinvested areas.   Many state departments of aging and health
services work in annual online November-December signups for Medicare
prescription insurance programs, and many persons go to senior centers
and health outreach programs for online signups for this complex
process.

http://illinoisbroadbanddeployment.pbwiki.com/f/BDC_08_Committee_Reports
.pdf

Layton Olson