All,

Have enjoyed the discussion of "business plans" for computer and other
electronic (1) recycling for use, (2) demanufacturing to remove toxic
and valuable minerals, (3) disposal in landfills in various parts of the
planet, and (4) costs of shipment of lightweight-to-heavyweight products
back and forth between continents in these times of higher costs of air,
rail and water shipping fuels.

>From Illinois in U.S. great lakes region, which is also US EPA Midwest
Region V, I wanted to share an update of "state-based electronic product
recycling legislation" as a model of "manufacturer responsibility"
standards, state environmental protection agency management, and
phaseout of landfill deposits of non-demanufactured toxics for retail
consumer-purchased electronic products.   This was developed as a model
in recent years by Chicago-based Environmental Law and Policy Center
which works with similar environmental improvement and more-efficient
high speed rail expansion in midamerica region.

For persons interested in details, below is a link to Illinois General
Assembly Bill Status of this legislation, which was passed by both
Houses, and sent to IL governor on August 8.   The Governor will have 30
days to sign or recommend modifications.  If modifications are proposed,
these could be considered in mid-November legislative session.  That is,
check back on IL General Assembly website in mid-September for result.
(Go to www.ilga.gov and search for SB 2313, or go to status link below.)

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=2313&GAID=9&GA=95&;
DocTypeID=SB&LegID=36270&SessionID=51

In any event, this is a model that several other U.S. states have either
adopted or are considering, and is an "overall lifecycle environmental
management" approach, and different from an initial "consumer or
retailer responsibility" law enacted by California in which a purchaser
pays a percentage fee or "deposit" which is collected by the state and
distributed to business, nonprofit and public agency recycling centers
for collection and recycling activities.  It is believed that in
more-recent "manufacturer responsibility" legislation, there are
on-going financial incentives to manufacturers who do a good job in
reducing e-waste, including by reducing the number of toxics in the
products in the first place.

Parties in Illinois view this as a "jobs and environmental improvement"
effort locally, including for entry-level work and training
opportunities in low income communities.  It may also reduce the
distribution of e-waste outside the state, depending on the costs of
transportation and the viability of in-state recyclers and
demanufacturers.

Layton Olson
Community Life Initiative
Chicago