From: Caroline Meeks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [DDN] PhD research on OLPC
To: "The Digital Divide Network discussion group"
<digitaldivide@digitaldivide.net>
Date: Saturday, 20 September, 2008, 8:48 PM

Hi Sarah,

I like "community computers".   That is a good way to describe what
I'm
trying to do with School Key.  I want to make the computers that already
exist in the community age-appropriate and personalized learning
environments for the students in the communities.

I'm hoping with School Key, I can create a community computing system that
provides value to students even if the computer they are using happens not
be on the internet or there are bandwidth problems.  I also want to
automatically backup the students' files.  This is probably a school
specific issue.

Thanks!
Caroline

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Sarah Blackmun-Eskow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:

> A more practical approach is "community computers" (in contrast
> "personal
> computers") available in a school, church, community center, etc.,
where
> everyone in the village can have access. It is much more reasonable to
> provide internet connection for one such community computing center than
> for
> personal laptops.
>
> A good model is a thin client/server model, in which one powerful server
> would serve programs and internet access to many thin clients with limited
> computing and storage capacity. (Community users would have their own pen
> drives for storing their own files.)
>
> We (Pangaea Network) are testing this idea in Ghana in Asante Akim
> district.
>

> Sarah Blackmun-Eskow
> President, The Pangaea Network
> 290 North Fairview Avenue
> Goleta CA 93117
> 805-692-6998
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> www.pangaeanetwork.org

China,
> India and Indonesia which practically form nearly half the world's
> population. If we succeed here , our job is done.
>
> See videos of our contents here www.paperlesshomework.ning.com/video
>
> Want to really close the digital divide? Join us. It is the ONLY such
> project in the world.
>
> Regards
> Alan Foo
> www.paperlesshomework.com
>

> www.paperlesshomework.com
> An elearning solution for rural areas where online/CDs cannot reach.
>
> Get the latest happenings through paperlesshomework tool bar
> www.paperlesshomework.communitytoolbars.com

the message.

--
Caroline Meeks