Claude Almansi wrote:
> Yes, the e-mail list is stifled. But isn't it because people
> hesitate to post to it because they don't know when the post
> will get through?

Yes - and another silent witness here :-) I tend not to contribute to DDN
for the above reason, however still follow discussions with interest - Seems
to me this current thread on moderation might be overly comparing list
moderation to the role of policeman or headmaster scolding noisy children.
As a moderator with TechSoup, my experience lends to a suggestion that spam/
inappropriate post management is really a minor task (and as others have
noted; easer to manage nowadays with the technical tools available); of more
importance to moderation are tasks of maintaining list culture, supporting
(and sometimes generating) discussions, ensuring the timeliness of posts and
working to promote the lists and forums.

Don