I'm not sure if I understand the semantic web; but if I do, I don't think I want it.

Technically, the sematic web requires meta data to be added to the url. In addition to complicating the url it presupposes knowing how others will view or use the data. Currently, meta tags embedded in the web page meet the need of identifying and typing content.

Philosophically, rather than having content labeled with a standard identifier, I would prefer that search engines look for content that is relevant to the search terms. Assuming accurate labeling the best we could hope for is a situation similar to searches returning paid results. In other words, we will be dependent on the publisher to apply the standard identifiers in an accurate and comprehensive manner. Expecting publishers to look beyond their purposes is unreasonable and fanciful.

What will a semantic web give us that we don't have now?

Andy Carvin wrote:
Tim Berners-Lee: Weaving A Semantic Web
http://www.edwebproject.org/andy/blog/

But from the very beginning of the Web, Berners-Lee had hoped that he would be able to incorporate descriptive information into the Web’s fundamental design, but for various reasons it didn’t make the cut. “One thing I wanted to put in the original design was the ‘typing’ of links,” he said. For example, let’s say you link your website to another site. At the moment, the hyperlink connecting them contains very little information: just an address to get to the other website’s content. But Berners-Lee’s idea was to include “metadata” with each hyperlink to describe *the relationship* between the two sites. For example: do the people linking their two websites know each other personally, professionally, or not at all? If they’re colleagues, how are they working together, and in what fields? Where are they working?

-- Larry Phillips

FutureCraft
http://www.ecn.ab.ca/~ljp

Quantum 2000: Education for Today and Tomorrow
http://www.ecn.ab.ca/quantum

Alberta Consumers' Association
http://www.ecn.ab.ca/consumer

Conversations about education