Hello everyone! I am a new list participant. I wrote Andy Carvin to
say I'd introduce myself and our project, so here we are.

I am a 20-year veteran of the TV networks, now working with the Lower
Eastside Girls Club in Manhattan to build a facility that will house
their programs, including digital media, health center, and an
initiative to provide free wireless broadband to the housing projects
nearby.  Avenue D is the digital divide for our community - gentrified
East Village on one side, subsidized housing on the other. The Girls
Club has an opportunity to create a diverse community network, while
calling on the prosperous part of the neighborhood to help support the
underserved area.

Here is a description of the project as it is currently shaping up,
with help from NYU's Interactive Telecommunications Program and iEARN.
 Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks
Dave Pentecost

****************************

Avenue D Network
A community web, based on free wireless access

The Lower Eastside Girls Club and Public School 188 are forming a
partnership to bring internet access, science and math education, and
wireless broadband to a community that has been underserved in all of
those areas.

The main components of the project are:

1) A community technology center at PS188 (Houston and Ave. D) in what
is presently the entry foyer of the school. This long, beautiful
space, with arched doorways to the outside, will be filled with a
wireless internet cafe open to students and parents of the
neighborhood. It will also serve as the after-school and weekend
headquarters for a project to get students interested and active in
science, math, and information technology. Funding for the facility is
in place. Architectural design has already been completed. System
design and implementation will begin in January of 2005, with the
center opening in the fall of that year.

2) A digital photography, video and internet radio center in the Girls
Club building, to be constructed between 7th and 8th streets on Avenue
D. This building will be certified "green" and will also house
commercial spaces at street level  and artist studios on the top two
floors, in cooperation with FEVA, the Federation of East Village
Artists. Groundbreaking on the building will take place in the fall of
2005.

3) A wireless community broadband network, with antennas on the Girls
Club and PS188, that will provide free or low cost internet access to
the housing projects on Avenue D. It will form the basis of a
community -wide network, sharing audio and video programs, health
information, business advertising, educational programs, and community
news. First evaluations and tests of wireless equipment, range and
coverage will begin in spring of 2005. Development of
community-specific applications and first network "broadcasts" will
also begin at that time.

We are seeking volunteers, interns, and mentors with skills to
contribute in many areas, including the following:

Network design, implementation, and security
Wireless broadband system design
Social software, applied to neighborhood wireless communications
Innovative educational approaches combining internet, math and science
Training youth and adults in Information Technology
Global collaboration, through web, VOIP, video conferencing
Video, audio and music production and distribution on the web
Website and weblog design, and training others in that area
RSS, "podcasting", bittorrent, and other emerging distribution methods
Mobile sharing of media and information

There will be opportunities for direct service and initiating
educational projects with students and families from the Girls Club
and PS 188 starting in Summer 2005.

In addition, we need people who can pursue options for acquiring the
bandwidth for the system - copper, fiber, point to point wireless -
and develop partnerships with suppliers and manufacturers who would
benefit from the visibility of the project and the development of new
social software and other community applications.

We are also open to any good idea that adds to the creative mix and
serves the neighborhood.

The first results of this effort will be the construction of the PS188
internet center and the creation of a database of resources and a
first planning survey, all by the fall of  2005.

The Avenue D Network will be designed by all participating partners,
including PS188 students, parents and staff; NYU Interactive
Telecommunication Program students and faculty; iEarn advisers;
students and staff of the Bard High School; and members of the Lower
Eastside Girls Club and FEVA. It will capitalize on and communicate
the diversity and creativity of the Lower East Side, and will provide
a model for centers in other communities.

Project coordinator: Dave Pentecost,  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
The Daily Glyph http://www.gomaya.com/glyph
Usumacinta         http://www.gomaya.com/dams