At 2:11 PM +0100 2/25/05, A. K. Mahan wrote:
In this convergence, radio promises to take on even greater significance and value. For this reason, we believe that radio is the one to watch.

Amy Mahan, I love you. I believe you are just exactly on target!

Now.....

Perhaps I should be writing off list directly to Amy Mahan in Montevideo? Or, most certainly, perhaps I should mention - especially to Amy - that one of the premier gurus in the whole of the community radio world, a Dutchman, lives in Montevedio -

Bruce Girard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.comunica.org/apasionados/

or
Arun Mehta, in New Delhi
http://www.radiophony.com/html_files/arun.html
Also one of the planet's radio gurus

or
George Lessard...in Nunavut
http://media002.tripod.com/

Or perhaps I should just plug for the fact that I am seeking, seeking, seeking a small group of people who would like to help in a "real world" demonstration of the impact that can be made by combining the collaborative power of the Net with the reach of ordinary radio -- and not so ordinary radio -- to include podcasting, Apple, and some Gee Whiz folks in San Francisco?

Would those interested in helping with such demonstration please write to me - on or off this list? Bruce? Amy? Chuah Siew Eng? Geoff? Andy? Janet?

John Hibbs
http://www.bfranklin.edu/johnhibbs

P.S. Inside that 40 foot van/telecenter should be the skills and equipment necessary to allow low power broadcasts to reach a radius of 25kms...arguably the most important use of the telecenter?

At 2:11 PM +0100 2/25/05, A. K. Mahan wrote:
> Second, while there has been a lot of talk about podcasting, and
 other audio deliveries, and some talk about internet (streaming)
 radio, there hasn't been much talk about reducing the divide by
 combining the power of the Net with the reach of conventional radio.

"The One to Watch: Radio, New ICTs and Interactivity"

This book is available online in English and Spanish at:
http://www.comunica.org/1-2-watch/

The Internet and other new ICTs are changing radio in the developing world. But far from making it less relevant, they are opening up hitherto unimagined
possibilities:

*Broadcasters who used to have to travel for hours or even days to find a
public library to research a programme, now have instant access to the
Internet;
*National, regional and global radio news agencies are making world news and alternative perspectives available to even the most remote communities;
*The radio/telecommunications combination is helping to keep communities
together, despite the distances imposed by migration.

The cases presented in this book are among the first examples of the convergence of radio and new ICTs for development, and the book underscores the significant potential of the combination. In this convergence, radio promises to take on even greater significance and value. For this reason, we believe that radio is the one to watch.

--
Amy Mahan
Montevideo, Uruguay

<www.lirne.net>