At 4:00 PM -0500 2/26/05, Dave Pentecost wrote:
Thanks to John for bringing this resource disparity to the fore. It
reminds me of the disconnect of environmentalists putting a year's
worth of car driving carbon into the atmosphere for every plane flight
they take to an international conference.

Returning, if I may, to the question - how do we accelerate the work of the Lilliputians? -- I have two suggestions:

1) We work like dogs to cause the Lilliputian Community to hold conferences virtually - and work equally hard to make ugly all Whiskey Drinker Conventions that are held in places like Geneva, London, and New York. (If there is an imperative for physical gatherings, why not hold them in poor capitals where accommodations are less than silken sheeted?}

2) We don't just sing to the choir, we sing to everyone that has access to a radio. And that's just about everyone in the world. Let's put to work the 80,000 community radio stations that need content of a kind we can deliver.
----

We have the tools and we have Lilliputians of exceptional skill. It is past time to begin boycotting conferences that could be held virtually. Is is past time to make sure that a substantial percentage of the revenues we generate are spent reaching millions well outside our choir.

John Hibbs