Mr. Hibbs want to continue the discussion of his silver bullet: the
distribution of the text of a "lecture" beforehand, presumably by email.

(I assume that "text" means the written word, and not a camera and streaming
video distributing the oral performance.)

Much of what I have to say on this matter is in my message of 2/.17/05: I
would be happy to send that to anyone who asks.

The advice  stems from a widely shared belief that the "lecture" is
invariably the reading of a script prepared in advance by the instructor,
and thus available for early reproduction and distribution. It also suggests
that such  lectures  are the organizing medium of the course.

As I indicated, the suggestion is an old one:  the proposal that such
lectures be distributed in advance of delivery has been made with the
arrival of each new technology: Indeed, many "text"books are compilations of
such lectures. In an important sense, then, Chapter 1 of the sociology
textbook is the first lecture of the sociology course, and it is available
in advance to those students who agree to buy the textbook.

The scripted lecture by the professor is probably more common in the elite
colleges, where teacher-scholars are often presenting ;their latest
findings, often not yet available elsewhere.

What is often called a lecture is improvised in performance by the
instructor, perhaps using a few notes on an envelope, and modified in
delivery as he or she picks up cues of understanding or misunderstanding
from student body language, or hands raised asking for clarification.

Mr. Hibbs reminds us that the new tools open up new possibilities for
learning.

Yes indeed. The rate at which the academy--the "robes," in Mr. Hibbs'
parlance--isexploring and experimenting with these new tools represents a
remarkable awareness of their potential. Potential, I might add, for harm as
well as good.

The difficulty that nonacademics have in having their proposals taken
seriously is not largely professional imperialism, although there is some of
that. The outsider--the business man or woman, for example--does not know
the culture of teaching and learning from first hand immersion in it as a
teacher-scholar, and like many outsiders brings a set of values and
assumptions to the process that clash with the values and assumptions of the
natives. The business person, for examples, wants the "robes" to talk of
"marketing," and "productivity," and "efficiency," and "accountability," and
in his pursuit of these values finds a marginal issue--say the distribution
of the text of lectures in advance--and tries to get such panaceas on the
agenda.

And when the "robe" shrugs off such suggestions the reaction is labeled
"resistance to change."

Steve Eskow

[EMAIL PROTECTED]