> >THerefore all these talks about digital divide are for people who HAS
> >digital avilable to them because they do not face many of the 'divides'
> >mentioned above ... so how can we understand what the needs of these people?
> >Furthermore, even if we build a teleceter for them and they can access to
> >the rest of the world and get a PhD in something ... what good would that be
> >for someone in a fishing village? It would be just like building an ultra
> >modern hospital without providing ultra modern doctors and nurses ... My
> >question during one of EU NGOs workshop --- providing scholarship to educate
> >people from Africa and other countries is noble, BUT why give them the
> >education they cannot use back in their own countries?
> >

> Exactly - context!

Wow! Then - should they stay in the fishing village, or should they
take that education and move into a field that doesn't currently exist
locally, exactly because there are no local people with the education
to do it locally?  Would that not benefit the development of the
country? Or should they get just enough education to stay in the
fishing village and catch more and more fish to pay for the foreign
consultants who will come to do the work that they would have been
able to do if they had the oportuinity for education?

What education would not be useful to a developing country? Specific
training in equipment that is not yet available, maybe that wouldn't
be immediately useful, but then training and education are very
different things.