Andy,

 I wish you good traveling to Mumbai and Baramati conference on ICT and
e-education focus in developing countries.  I note on the agenda presenters
from Tamil Nadu on the 4th, and in your panel on the 5th and Dr. Swaminathan's
summary remarks on the 6th.  I wanted to note my brief experience a month ago
in Tamil Nadu, as I circulated a few resources from Chicago on youth-focused
activities involving "simulations of tsunami early warning systems" as
educational and community-building activities.

I had the opportunity to spend just a few minutes at Swaminathan foundation in
the university complex by IIT Chennai, and left a copy of materials at the
Honda Informatics Center.  Without an appointment, no one was available to
talk.   As well in Chennai, I visited Jivana Jyoti, Institute of Applied
Electronics and Information System (across from government museum), a
vocational institution involving IT skill-training, electrical skill-training
and others, as part of training-rehabilitation of differently-abled youth since
1987, promoted by Inter-Church Service Association, including through
connections with persons from American College in Madurai, which arranged the
visit I participated in.
We also travelled south of Chennai past many tent-communities along the
coastline to the
Famous 6-8th century rock sculptures and monoliths at Mahabalipuram, just south
of which was the newly found ancient city revealed by the massive amount of
sand removed.

In Madurai, I spoke with faculty in technology, a noted nationwide center in
literature written and translated into English from at least 4 major Indian
languages, social work and community outreach (including connection with Shanxi
program linked with colleges in Indonesia, China and Japan, started with an
endowment after Boxer Rebellion a century ago) at American College, established
in 1880's by persons associated with United Church of Christ, now with over
2000 undergraduate and graduate students, substantially supported by public
funds, but with some continuing support via a small UCC-related foundation in
U.S.  They are in the process of upgrading from dialup, and considering a
campus-wide wireless system.

I shared the prepared resources including the reference to the story on the
"phone call that saved an entire village," relayed from Singapore via
Swaminathan Foundation's Information Village Project (also appearing in Jan 17
New Yorker), and thoughts about what might be done by students and tsunami
survivors to document what happened and to recommend a hazard warning and
mitigation process for South India and Indian Ocean.  Such as referring a
number of persons to www.ostp.gov for update on expanded U.S. tsunami hazard
activities and links with US weather service center in Hawaii linked with all
the Pacific initiatives.  I participated in a press event on Friday Jan. 28 for
3 reporters, hosted by social work department, and participated in by a
psychologist married to president of Oberlin College who had been training
graduate social work students for the second in a set of planned 3 day visits
for trauma counseling with youth/elderly in the fishing area most remote and
hard!
  hit far south of Chennai.  I also passed out copies of youth-produced
newspaper 45,000 circulation per issue from Chicago www.newexpression.org as an
example of the quality of what teens can produce, and exchange with each other,
anywhere in the world.

This activity resulted in following front page news story in Jan. 30 The Hindu
national newspaper published in Chennai, "College students to counsel tsunami
victims in Nagapattinam, by Sastry Mallady, Madurai, Jan. 29.  A group of
trained student volunteers from Madurai, along with expert psychiatric
counsellor from America, left for Nagapattinam district to provide professional
psychological counselling to tsunami victims.  The volunteers will stay there
for a few days "meeting the people who survived the tragedy, with particular
attention towards youngsters and the aged."

"The American College here is taking the initiative involving experts and
trained students to give counseling to the affected people in 16 remote
villages in the tsunami-hit district.  The Bursar P. Andbudurai said the effort
was being made from a psychological angle to bring the victims to normality.
The target would be teenage groups from schools and colleges in Nagapattinam
district and yet similar importance would be given to the aged people, as per
the recommendation of the Social Work Department of the college.

"The villages were in the northern parts of Nagapattinam district, including
Poompuhar and Pudukuppam regions.  Mr. Adbudurai said the college was keen to
undertake a sustainable relief work.  "We found that psychological counseling
was the immediate requirement."  About 40 students were trained professionally
by Griffith Dye, a US-based practicing psychiatrist, and Layton Olson, an
expert in computer simulations, from Chicago.

"The volunteers would undertake an intensive counseling during their in the
villages, said Simon Daniel, convenor of the Counsling and Guidance Committee.
There would be a few more visits in the coming months.  The visits would also
lay an emphasis on developing an early tsunami warning system after receiving
local inputs.   Continued for 2 more paragraphs."

After leaving the Tamil Nadu area, I visted West Coast and was hosted in Mumbai
by a former commander in Indian Navy in navigation, who was very interested in
the project, as well as his teenage daughter as a "digital media" person was
interested in seeing the Chicago teen-produced paper.

Upon return to Chicago, I noted in Feb. 28 Sun-Times a commentary by Stephen
Moseley, president of D.C.-based Academy for Educational Development, entitled
"Rebuilding schools will help tsunami victims recover," which was the starting
point for taking examples of "what schools might use to engage students in
projects which arise in working through their own personal experiences," and
making suggestions for better preparation for any of a number of diasters next
time.

While I am sharing these experiences in Chicago with a number of youth
media-focused parties, one question arises for persons in the Baramati
conference -- Are there parties in developing world which have "electronic
education sharing tools" that allow students and teachers in one country to
send to electronic-pen-pals with digital camera image-sharing in another
country?  Perhaps not just to show their work, such as a youth produced
electronic version of a newspaper or eZine, but perhaps a shared project, such
as a first draft of a "simulation" such as of an early warning system, or
"model or game" in which the across-the-world students are asked to add to or
modify the product sent to them, ending up with a joint product.

I'm sure many DDN members in U.S. might have interests in working with parties
that can manage all the technological and on-going support issues involved in
such an project, which in future years might generate "virtual mentoring"
partnerships among Digital Media and Communication projects, as well as science
and other projects.  Not being a techie person myself, I would be glad to
encourage others in Chicago, and internationally-linked projects in Illinois to
participate, including via links with a committee which has several links with
India at UIUC and UIC, and through my law firm of Howe & Hutton, representing
trade and professional associations around the world in boosting Chicago and
Great Lakes Region as Global City/Region.

Best for an excellent converence, and I hope you get a chance to talk with
persons from Tamil Nadu.  By the way, I was told that Tamil languages are
spoken by perhaps 65 million around the world and is a very highly-used
Internet language among a far flug disaspora, including in Madison, WI, where
the president of American College in Madurai, India has often taught summer
courses in their Tamil studies program.

Layton Olson
Midwest Technology Access Group
Chicago, IL.