Taran Rampersad wrote:

My position is strong on this, I know. But podcasting by itself probably is only useful for the visually impaired, and I don't know that anyone does podcasting for that purpose yet. They should. But mobcasting is the superior thing to do in this scenario as well.

Actually, I've just been beta-testing a new service called talkr.com. The site just went public today. Talkr is an RSS newsreader with a twist - it literally reads out your favorite blogs as a computerized voice. When you add an RSS feed to its database, it generates an mp3 file of the computer voice reading out each blog entry contained within the RSS feed. For example, here's the mp3 of my recent blog entry about the attack on the Kabul cybercafe:

http://talkr.com/audio/a/n/d/y/38039.mp3

You need to have a login to manage your own set of RSS feeds, but the mp3 files are publicly accessible, which means you could create a parallel podcast of your text blog, using the mp3 files created by talkr. That way, your audience could either read your blog or listen to it. But Talkr will be fee-based, so this free experimental account I have at the moment won't last long. From what the developer's told me, the site wasn't initially designed with the disabled community in mind, but they're now exploring ways of making this a service for people with visual impairments.

ac

-- ----------------------------------- Andy Carvin Program Director EDC Center for Media & Community acarvin @ edc . org http://www.digitaldivide.net http://www.tsunami-info.org Blog: http://www.andycarvin.com ----------------------------------- _______________________________________________ DIGITALDIVIDE mailing list DIGITALDIVIDE@mailman.edc.org http://mailman.edc.org/mailman/listinfo/digitaldivide To unsubscribe, send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the body of the message.