"...so it is conceivable that community centers for internet access could
become an acceptable method for the Amish to use modern media, but this
simply may not be an option if it conflicts with the viewpoints of this
unique community."

I applaud the consideration of culture in this discussion. Lest I go
overboard on my own personal experience - I will open to say I was raised
Mennonite - one of the closest (but more "modern") cousins to the Amish. I
grew up in Wayne County, Ohio, just north of Holmes County - the Ohio
version of Lancaster, PA.

And I'll admit I've only been apart of this list for a week, but in all
discussions of communities, pathways of information play an important part
of its structure. For example, Mennonites - and from what I understand Amish
- have a closed to tight knit community. Leadership of that community can
often be based on "Life Experience" - that is - the elders lead the way
based on their experience and lessons taught to them by their elders.

Hence you have a top down information flow of culture and ideas. This is
obviously not one of the Internet - where it's very much sideways and even
bottom up in some cases (blogs - companies hiring blogs complaining about
products to help vet their product research...)

After all, culture is very much identity - and the stories that go along
with it. Technologies, such as the Internet - can cut two ways - and often
do both. They can compliment traditional knowledge/culture/stories - but
they can disrupt and challenge this same traditional knowledge by injecting
an overwhelming number of new and conflicting ideas at the same time.

For the Amish in Lancaster - as they are sewing their beautiful quilts
(often as important as the conversation between the ladies that occurs over
a quilt's many month construction), making their hardwood furniture that can
last a lifetime - I question the reality of getting a sort of Internet café
in their community. There are simply too many free thinkers/thought/ideas on
the net for the elders to handle (not necessarily the kids). It couldn't be
filtered (think of the Chinese here...) unless it was solely an intranet.

"As Amish people reach adulthood, they have the option of leaving the Amish
community rather than become adult members. Adult Amish people who do not
follow the ways of the Amish faith are shunned, a very serious loss of the
entire community fellowship and support."

Correct in observation... but what of reality?

Here I think (to go so bold as to gently be cross with my heritage) is that
Mennonites and Amish feel they give people a choice about joining the larger
world or staying within it. But really, that's hardly the case.

I feel letting Amish (or Mennonites in a looser sense) out into the world to
"choose" is like keeping a pet monkey or something in a cage its whole life,
and then offering it to live in the wild or back in its cage. This sounds
like a noble choice, but ignores whether that monkey knows how to feed
itself and what to be afraid of in terms of predators. That - I don't think
- is a fair choice.

Besides, - on a light note - I think the Amish would have to work out their
whole "hook and eye" vs. button argument before they get into computers
telecommunications. (Some think buttons are sinful - should we talk about
connection speeds then? 200k is ok but 1mg is sinful???)

OK - so I didn't solve the digital divide with this - but hopefully brought
some of the complexities to light. Simply put, think of content and its
meaning to the audience too. Or put it another way - what does a farmer in
Kentucky want to know about? The USDA, the tobacco buyout and cattle
futures? My question is then to the DDN - what do those in Iraq want to know
about?

Chris

Christopher Miller
Research and Legislative Analyst
ConnectKentucky
Phone: 270-781-4320
Cell: 270-799-0870
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

www.connectkentucky.org
ConnectKentucky is a division of The Center for Technology Enterprise, Inc.