Dr. Steve Eskow wrote (in part)

Personal or social computing: which is the right road for those without
computers and their benefits to get access to them?

I am not sure that this is the question. The first question to ask is the one to ourselves which seeks to unravel just how much of our cultural values we are imposing on this and related issues. In the US, there is an interesting term, "The New Elite" coined by David Lebedof, to designate the enthusiastic, college graduates, usually, who want to bring the world together and thus have some images of what the introduction of ICT's will do for this socially engineered ideal. One must remember that the Marxist models, with a notable exception, have collapsed (as "The End of History" so eloquently argues). On the other hand the neoclassical economic model of free enterprise has also failed. The "Myth of Progress" is not transferable from the world of science/engineering to the socio/economic world with people added into the mix.

The second issue/question has to do with the interoperability and connectivity between computers. This impacts hardware and software. But the idea is to allow information to flow seamlessly across the Net. Of course such seamlessness opens systems up to virus transmissions of all types also. This latter can be as insidious as product marketing (say of Coca Cola).

The third issue is portability; and here we are still thinking computers when we know that the universal phone/computer does exist and there are educational institutions planning e-learning with these dual band devices.

Thus, in many ways the simputer in its current embodiment represents past visions. It is true in developing countries where cells are often ubiquitous. Thus support of the Simputer, in its current embodiment and the comparison with laptops or desktops is moot.

Rather it is ":academic" which seems to be a better term.

thoughts?

tom abeles