Jesse Sinaiko wrote:

>Taran Rampersad wrote:  But by the time they are distributed, everyone will
>be using palmtop computing. So the real thing to do if we want to bridge the
>divide is to jump the laptop gap in the first place. Bypass the desktop and
>laptops wherever we can. Honestly, that's the only way, I think.
>
>Taran -
>
>Why?  What are the real-world advantages to palmtop as opposed to laptop?
>For myself, I can't stand the microscopic screens on palm-type machines and
>many, many others have the same issue.

It's smaller. It's really that simple. Distributed computing is coming.
Let's not become the IBM President who once said that there was a market
for only 5 computers in the world... kids growing up now are likely to
be using wearable and palmtop devices in the next 20 years while we
(then) old people lug around laptops.

We're not talking just about a digital divide. Resistance to change on
this will result in a generational divide as well. For the longest time,
I avoided having a laptop. Period. Now I have one, and a desktop system
is something I consider to be a pain because I have to sit where *it*
is. A laptop with wireless access is better, but it's still limited by
it's power cord and battery consumption. A palmtop or wearable computer
extends battery life, and reduces the need for a cord. In fact... MIT
has experimented (and probably still is) with computing that is powered
by the electricity we generate when we walk.

I turned 34 two days ago. In 6 years, I'll be 40. In 16 years, I'll be
50. You get the idea. Let's go with 6 years. In 6 years, if 'Moore's
Law' holds constant, I'll have lived through 4 evolutions of technology
where the amount of processing power doubles per unit size. A laptop
will be a server, unless you need to do something like crack encryptions
(hello, CARNIVORE!). Interfaces will change too.

So, yes, palmtops suck for a lot of people. But check the demographic of
the people that they suck for. Hand a kid a Palm sized computer like a
Simputer and see what happens. And if you want a real lesson in
humility, walk into an arcade and get schooled by a 6 year old at a 6
button game. :-)

>I don't understand the advantages beyond the fact that one slings over one's
>shoulder and other can fit into a large pocket.  That's nice, but by no
>means crucial.  So why move to more expensive, less adaptable technology?

It's not more expensive or less adaptable. Palmtop computing is already
giving laptops a run for their money... if the laptop isn't running
Linux, that is. So operating system is a factor, which leads me to...

>My laptop is a P-II 450.  Runs XP fine.  It's heavier than the newest
>laptops but it does the job, and if it gets clobbered or gorked, no big
>deal.

Gorked. You'll have to explain Gorked. :-)

And if you ran another operating system, your laptop will continue to
give you better performance. But, then, what do you use the laptop for?
Is it just using Microsoft Office and email, or do you have more
specialized applications you could use? If you only need applications
like that, then you can do all of that with a palmtop. And if you wanted
to, you could hook up a keyboard to it. They have some nice roll-up
keyboards I want to get, but the focus is on other things right now. I
expect that if people wanted it, they could get manufacturers to allow
SVideo output as well so you could hook to your comfy monitor.

It works for you now, I agree. And you apparently don't walk with it on
your back too much. After the last few months and this 7.5 lb Gateway
strapped on my back, I can tell you that I prefer something I can wear
on a harness.

>  So I agree with Mike; let's get all the surplus laptops we can out to
>those who need them NOW and worry about micro/nano tech later.

Yeah, well... they just become obsolete and end up in landfills in the
developing world. I suppose it's a good place to throw the trash.

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad

http://www.knowprose.com