Cindy Lemcke-Hoong wrote:

>I for one absolutely agreed.
>
>Less than a year after I bought my Palm pilot, I
>stopped using it. The bother of constantly having to
>pull out my reading glasses before I could do anything
>.. Instead I regularly print a copy of my Yahoo.
>address book and the agenda...
>
>As for SMS ... for the same reason I seldom use it,
>and I am not too please if someone send me one!
>
>For the young, and some professionals, cell phone and
>WIFI are fashionable and/or on the go. But is it a
>MUST? I wonder.
>
>Cindy

I know what you mean, Cindy. Today I found myself having trouble
focusing on some fine print. It was strange. But... I'm not getting any
younger, and maybe putting my ego aside may make me less obsolete (read:
Taran may be getting reading glasses in the next few years). And yet -
adaptation will have to happen for us. We talk about the elderly now and
then here, but even as we type we are becoming elderly. New generations
are coming. My second youngest niece has an old Apple laptop her Dad
handed down to her. I send her links to the Wikipedia via email. She's
turning 8 this year. 8! I started off with a Vic-20 when I was 10! So
she teaches about her future if I choose to learn... her world will be
different, and it's her world that we are also looking toward. Oddly, my
older nieces in the U.S. don't even have email addresses (or maybe they
don't wish to hurt Uncle Taran's feelings).

My father, who dealt with land management, used to see his lawyer with 2
boxes of files weighting exactly 54 lbs - I know, I weighed them because
I carried them. I walk in to see the lawyer with the same files in 7.5
lbs. Maybe the next leap could be ounces. Do we really want our kids
chained to heavy things to carry around? I wonder how many people used a
belt to band their books together when going to school... I did for a while.

We may not use them as much... but the future is not ours. We don't
inherit from our parents, we borrow from our children (Native American
Proverb). I'm a bit worried about the interest on that loan at this
point - and that's a double entendre.

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad