ehewitt wrote:

> Hi Taran,
> In the midst of it all remains the original matter that the prime
> focus in school is delivery of the curriculum -- I assume from all
> this , or rather the UN, MIT and Negroponte assumes I imagine, that
> the delivery of the curriculum is already available on the Internet.
> The student just "cranks" up the computer and ...Viola!!! QED.
> Errol Hewitt

Well, not necessarily on the internet. But available electronically at
all is a problem. Maybe the first people who should get the technology
and act on it aren't children. Maybe it's the teachers, the writers of
schoolbooks...

In the context of CARICOM, I have often wondered how long it would take
for school book authors to be commissioned to create books available at
no cost on the internet. Sure, T&T has 'free schoolbooks' - but they
cost the government. What if one could reduce the cost and make the
books available to anyone with a machine or access to a computer printer
AND the publisher? That seems a very long way down the road. It also
highlights a point: different parts of the world have different systems
of education, and therefore different needs.

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad

http://www.knowprose.com