In a message dated 12/3/05 10:54:25 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Digital Divide became the more common term
> > when interest in the problem went beyond educators and attracted the
> > attention of the business community..  At that point, it seemed to me,
> > the emphasis went from providing access to technology to providing
> > connectivity.

One of the things we learned while working on the NIIAC, was not to claim
ownership of ideas, terms and initiatives. It is said that the best ideas in
Washington are often discarded based on partisanship, so we learned to float an
idea, a term , and a project without contribution of who first used it.

Al Gore liked to talk about how his father helped to create the links that
created the infrastructure for the highway system that became the interstate
and
the series of highways that criss cross the US.
He also talked about the differences in transportation as a divide. But
remember it was the time of the biggest divide between Republicans and
Democrats to
the point where the government was shut down and our work had to be sponsored
by a private person. Newt Gingrich was knocking on the door.
Actually he espoused a lot of the initiatives we proposed, but in his own
way.

I have seen a lot of people claim the honor of proposing the resources that
are those that connect schools to the information highway. Only a few of us
know who proposed those initiatives as well. The point was that we wanted the
ideas to come to fruition. I laugh when I see various people get awards and
accolades for things that they never initiated , but it is part of the process
float an idea and to let others carry the ball in Washington so as not to get
it mired in partisanship.

Bonnie Bracey Sutton