Hi all,

In partnership with Chicago's wonderful Linux group (FreeGeek Chicago: http://www.freegeekchicago.org/), we've decided it's about time we had a replicable, well-documented, broadcast fax solution. The idea is to get together and make use of FreeGeek's linux expertise to turn an average, low-end, nothing-fancy desktop computer we had lying around into a fax server capable of automatically sending high-volume faxes to addresses / numbers from pre-built databases. The immediate use that comes to mind is in advocacy / press releases / flyer distribution etc, but I'm sure most nonprofits could benefit from this kind of thing. And it'll be a great primer on the world of open source software and Linux, and the possibilities inherent in your old computer boxes.

We're currently compiling a list of interested parties, and we expect to set a date to meet and build this thing in the near future. If there's enough interest from people / groups that won't be able to attend in the Chicago area, we can make extensive, newbie-friendly documentation available online soon afterwards.

Anyone who'd like to be in on this, please email me and let me know. Please mention if you're in the Chicago area and would be interested in attending the build. You'll also get a tour of the Free Geek facility and hands-on experience of the work they're doing.

Thanks,

  Dave.

Dave A. Chakrabarti
Projects Coordinator