Hi all,

Listened to the original webcast of this data release. A couple observations

We now have perhaps a clue why it took over 2 years and multiple delays of
the planned release date since the end of field work to learn anything from
this new data (and there is still more - e.g. about health literacy - that
has yet to be released) as it doesn't look like the 'education president'
and No Child Left Behind have moved any child or adult forward in terms of
literacy skills.

In fact, across all levels of education -- prose literacy skills declined in
the past ten years. That is true for people with a graduate degree and for
those with less than or some high school. For the other two 'types' of
literacy the National Assessment of Adult Literacy (NAAL) measured, across
education levels (from none or some high school to graduate degree) document
literacy declined or remained unchanged and quantitative literacy remained
unchanged.

The administration spin tried to present the overall aggregate movement in
average literacy rates as the most important point. However, any raise in
'average;' literacy level was created only because more people have a higher
level education now than ten years ago (because of the way they analyzed the
data so far, it is problematic to actually combine the prose, document, and
quantitative literacy scores to determine an 'average'). But remember,
people in this study with a graduate degree dropped 13 points in prose
literacy and 17 points in document literacy as compared to those with a
similar level of education ten years ago.

What does all this mean? To my thinking, the shift in literacy rates the
early look at the new data gives us is easily interpretable as a function of
pushing more people through more years of schooling while actually teaching
them less of the skills they need to survive and succeed in the world. In
digital divide terms, it is entirely probably the new assessment will show
that in terms of literacy the divide between the 'haves' and the 'have nots'
has increased or, at the least, stayed the same (though we can't yet get to
the original data to run that type of a complete analysis).

Best wishes,

Andrew Pleasant