Hello David,

I am puzzled about the sample. I apologize for not having read the whole report yet and plan to do so, but thought that I would raise a question to those who are monitoring this report and similar ones. You indicate that the sample covered 16 years and up, with non-English speakers being asked to be assessed in English. I wonder before we begin to accept the report or be surprised by the findings, if we might disaggregate the data for the sub-populations. I know that the Harvard Civil Rights project, when it disaggregated the data on desegregation found that that the closer you get to the local school site the more reseggregation becomes visible. I wonder if those who know about the data on this report see patterns similar to this? Is there disaggregation of the data by different groups that might inform this discussion. Using population data can be misleading. I also wonder how the current population studied matched the earlier one-- e.g., were the number of non-English reading students and adults the same? Both of these questions impact how we might make sense of the new report.

Is it the case that college graduates, or all adults (16 years and up) have lower literacy. These are questions that need to be explored before moving to generalizations about university graduates and lower standards. What changes were identified in the report in terms of school background, types of curriculum experienced, and amount of money provided per student in the studies? These are just some questions. I wonder if others on the list have questions that might be added to this set so that we can better understand this report?

Judith Green