Hi All,
Maybe it isn't the technology that is causing a decline in literacy
skills development but a dearth and lack of support for library services
in schools not only in the US but around the world. Kids learn to read
using concrete objects first (to do with the nature of learning to read)
and school libraries are where they not only learn to maintain and
expland their literacy skills, but they also acquire a reading habit. No
qualified teacher librarian, leads to poor resource selection and no
reading or literature/literacy promotion across all levels of the
school.

A reminder - computers and not compensatory. If students have poor
traditional literacy skills, they will not be able to use a computer
effectively or efficiently to gain information either. Reading is about
both the deconstruction of printed language and the construction of
meaning/understandings. Computers actually require the user to have a
range of other literacy skills on top of the traditional reading,
writing, listening and viewing.

Falling literacy skills in students coming into tertiary education are a
reflection of the way many educators and the media have tried to divorce
the acquisition and maintenance of literacy skills from print resources
and the library in schools. Too often the first place for funding and
staff cuts is the school library. After all, why do we need a library?
And yet all the research indicates that students who read widely and who
read fiction, also have advanced literacy skills and are more successful
academically (PISA 2000).

It is about time that we stopped expecting the Internet and technology
to provide all the answers. It is not a cure, but a toolkit. At this
point in time the only real major issue with technology from an
information science perspective is that it is steadily increasinbg the
number of formats and delivery modes for information/fiction and
nonfiction. In our profession we have issues with being able to cater
for this expanding toolkit, preservation and longterm storage of
information and basic access in a world where good information is fast
becoming an expensive commodity.

Until we move beyond this fixation with the toolkit (technologies) and
once again value learning/education and what libraries have to offer,
fund and staff school libraries appropriately, literacy skills will
continue to fall or at best, remain static.

:)
BC

Convenor for the Transforming Information and Learning Conference
http://www.chs.ecu.edu.au/TILC

Barbara Combes, Lecturer
School of Computer and Information Science
Edith Cowan University, Perth Western Australia
Ph: (08) 9370 6072
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that
of an ignorant nation." Walter Cronkite

This email is confidential and intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error,
please notify me immediately by return email or telephone and destroy
the original message.