Errol,
Absolutely true. The first thing you will see on any reliable resource
regarding health information, whether its in print or online is that this does
not replace a visit to your health care provider. There are many organizations
that have developed standards and codes of evaluating information. MedlinePlus
has many tutorials and resources to use to learn how to evaluate health
information http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/evaluatinghealthinformation.html

I have a project i am developing to assist CTCs, public libraries and others
who want to help people find health information to learn how to evaluate what
they find. http://nnlm.gov/mcr/resources/community/ctc/ user name: ctcgroup
password: ctc11  It is password protected because it is not complete yet.
People go online and look for information about their health. As the tutorial
states, 62% of people with Internet access are doing this already. so we need
to teach them how to search for reliable resources.

siobhan

Siobhan Champ-Blackwell
Community Outreach Liaison
NN/LM-MCR
Creighton University Health Sciences Library
2500 California Plaza
Omaha, NE 68178
402.280.4156/800.338.7657 option#1,#2, then #1
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://nnlm.gov/mcr
http://medstat.med.utah.edu/blogs/BHIC/
<http://medstat.med.utah.edu/blogs/BHIC/>