-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Taran
Rampersad
Sent: Sunday, April 30, 2006 9:06 PM
To: The Digital Divide Network discussion group
Subject: Re: [DDN] healthy people 2010 and the digital divide

As a former shift supervisor for the Naval Hospital Orlando Emergency
Department, I couldn't agree more with Errol, and Siobhan's points are
not lost on me.

There are people who go to school for years to be able to diagnose and
treat diseases. Deriving information from a patient history, assuring
that proper lab tests and radiology is done, and so on. It's not an easy

job, and there's even an Oath associated with practicing medicine. Most
of the time, when people are not willing to ask their doctor about
something they are not willing to search for it on the internet... and
if they are unwilling to see a doctor and would rather surf the internet

for solutions, I suppose that they will at the least become informed
patients (I'm a big fan of 'House'). If society doesn't want to see
their doctors, that means a certain level of trust is gone. Of course,
many doctors forget that only 100 years ago they might have been paid in

chickens, but I digress...

Medical information on the internet for health care providers is good.
But is medical information on the internet good for the average person?
Maybe. Do we want people getting their BLS (Basic Life Support) training

off of the internet with no practical training? Maybe. A person can feel

their own xiphoid process, perhaps even feel someone else's xiphoid
process. That xiphoid process is pretty important for CPR to assure
proper chest compressions, and even to avoid fracturing ribs. What about

chest pain? Do we want people hopping on the internet when they feel an
elephant standing on their chest, then trying a mixture of Milk of
Magnesia and Viscous Xylocaine (the cardiac cocktail) at home in the
hope that it will help when they may be in the early stages of what may
become atrial or ventricular fibrillation? Probably not. We'd probably
want them to go see their doctor. I would.

However, knowing some things about medicine benefits everyone. For
example, a baby aspirin a day is what is supposed to be good for your
heart. The human genome project has presented that this only works on
one out of every 30 or 300 (I forget the exact number of 0s involved)
people - but I don't know if I am one of those people. But that baby
aspirin a day (only a baby aspirin) can be good for people. So they
should... talk to their doctor. Once the ending point of anything
medical ends up at a doctor, I'm all for it.

And then, 'Where There Is No Doctor' has been free online for quite some

time now - BUT - in many parts of the world, including the U.S., it's
not 'free' because they can't get online. So without internet access,
even with all the information in the world about medical problems (and
your treatment being determined by Google result order. LOL), people
don't get the information. And if they can't afford internet access...
can they afford a doctor? And that's really what I was getting at.
There's always television. Someone remind me to 'talk to my doctor about

Lunestra'. :-)

Medicine is not just about information floating around there. Medicine
is a *practice*. Medicine requires education, intelligence, experience,
and sometimes great intestinal fortitude Some things should be on the
internet, or more importantly, available to people (the internet is only

one avenue). But we also need to make sure that people have medical care

in the first place. I've been reading a book, 'The End of Poverty', and
within it there is a picture of a clinic closed because the village
could not afford the doctor and the supplies the doctor needed. Another
city within the book is treating patients with HIV for $1 US/day, but
the patient has to pay that $1 US and at the time of the writing of the
book, only 400 people out of thousands could afford the treatment. It's
unlikely that they could not afford the treatment because they wanted to

make sure that they had internet access.

So... yes, medical information online *can* be good, but I think getting

medical care to people who need it is more important. I applaud the
efforts of people for getting valuable and proper information online. I
just want there to be trained people reading it to treat the people who
need it, not some hacker (worse: who doesn't speak English natively) who

can't tell the difference between acute nasopharyngitis, plasmodium
falcoparum and an elevated T wave diagnosing and treating people because

they read it on the Wikipedia. When last I was certified as a BLS-I,
about a decade ago, the rules had changed for CPR such that one started
CPR only AFTER 911 (emergency) had been called so that the symptoms can
be treated until the cause of the symptoms can. It's not too different
here. We need people getting treatment, or able to get treatment.

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago

Looking for contracts/work!
http://www.knowprose.com/node/9786

New!: http://www.OpenDepth.com
http://www.knowprose.com