Tom Brough writes:

> I know I cant change your mindset on this (but I have to try).
> What troubles me is not necessarily proprietary software itself,
> but the business practices of companies like Microsoft & SCO.

Hi again Tom,

Once again thanks for the thoughtful reply - I do understand, and to a
degree empathise with your stance on the business practices of these few
companies (plus of course a few others we could mention!). Yet just perhaps
you might also agree that not all companies are deserving of such derision,
hence my concern when OSS is associated with a condemnation of all
proprietary software developments; when the reality of a few is portrayed as
a "fact" of all. Not only is this not factual, it's also just not proper or
right.

Leading from this, my greatest concern (and reason for initial comment) is
that of Open Source Software loosing respect in global society's and markets
when a minority of proponents condemn too freely that which they do not
like, or perhaps simply do not understand in the context of cooperative
software developments. Too often I find those most vocal about OSS actually
have very little involvement with the concept. My own involvement with OSS
has taken me around the world - from Sri Lanka to New York; from the
extremes of having a machine-gun pointed at my mid-rift following and
assassination by the Tigers of Tamil, to the horrors of the Tsunami
intermingled with the glorious splendour of a Thai Andaman Sea sunset, to
the daunting halls, professors and other academics of Harvard University
where only last month I promoted our OSS offerings to a global gathering of
humanitarian aid and disaster experts - Believe me, for a "boy from the
Aussie bush" who travelled little beyond my country prior to an involvement
with OSS this is a truly amazing, if personally very expensive journey...
Yet greater than all of this the knowledge that our little OSS software
project; the software I am involved with and along with other developers
share a distinct passion, is right now helping people in Indonesia,
Pakistan, the Philippines and other disaster stricken communities right
around the world. In a very tangible sense we are using OSS to help people
survive and return their lives to normality.

So Tom when you state that "I know I cant change your mindset on this but I
have to try"... Please be aware that my mindset is very supportive of OSS,
but through experience in this world of practicalities I also acknowledge
that OSS is only a tiny subset of a much greater humanitarian effort; an
effort that to be successful relies just as strongly on understanding and
acceptance of the altruism inherent in a lot of proprietary software
developments. I guess for me the bottom line here is that whilst I
acknowledge your singular ideology, unfortunately I don't have the luxury of
being able to share it, and continue to fear the potential for damage in
such a singular focus.

Who knows, maybe given enough time and effort I might even change your
mindset to one of understanding the bigger picture where OSS and proprietary
code together offer benefits to humanity :-)

Cheers, Don