Here is an important thing to keep in mind: One study answers absolutely nothing. This needs to be drilled into the heads of every journalist reporting on anything. At the very BEST a single study is highly speculative. And a short-term study is especially vulnerable. It is important to place these things in proper context and it also is important to understand that there are so many confounding variables in studies -- things that aren't taken into consideration that could have an impact on the outcomes -- that to cite a single study for anything is pretty ridiculous...IMHO.

Steve Snow
----- Original Message ----- From: "Executive Director" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "'The Digital Divide Network discussion group'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 10:09 AM
Subject: RE: [DDN] $14 Million Study Proves (???) Student LaptopsIneffectiveAcademically

" Furthermore, although technology use increased in the first year and
surpassed control schools, laptops were used infrequently for learning in
core subject classes, especially mathematics ."

Really, and the math scores didn't improve? What a surprise.

This seems like an indictment of the school system and not the technology.

In my view, and in the view of any competent computer user, it is simply a
no-brainer that computer use will improve student learning, despite an
inability or unwillingness to measure it.

An interesting study would be to give these laptops to home schooled kids
and you would most likely see them move another notch above public schooled
kids.

Mike
Michael F. Pitsch
[EMAIL PROTECTED]