This is gold, though I don't know that the tenth grade student is average by any stretch. And to balance it, I suppose we need this discussion with the average students - which, I believe, is the point that Shantanu is circuitously making - or not.

Satish Jha wrote:
A note from a tenth grade student

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: shantanu jha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Jul 28, 2006 11:12 PM
Subject: Re: $14 Million Study Proves (???) Student
LaptopsIneffectiveAcademically
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The fundamental problem with laptops and mathematics/science is that there is just not enough computer science taught today. It is impossible to be a mathematician or scientist these days without being heavily involved in the use of computer modeling. Every mathematician, scientist, and engineer will
have to become fluent in the use of Mathematica, Maple, MATLAB, or some
other computer algebra system, and this cannot be done without computer
science. The links between mathematics and computer science are incredibly
far-reaching as well, giving considerable pedagogical value to the use of
computers in mathematics. For example, any given "for" or "while" loop we
use is basically a finite induction process directly analogous to the method of inductive proof we use constantly in mathematics. Recursion, another oft used computer science technique, appears often when we deal with generating functions and recurrence relations - which, in turn, are two of the areas of
mathematics that lend themselves best to analysis via computer science
methods.

I'll only comment briefly on reading. There is no good reason that one can't
read as much with the use of a laptop and the internet than with a book.
Give someone a laptop with internet access, and they have a key to an
immense amount of online material. Whether it is reading the classics or
reading a math textbook, there is almost always an online alternative that
is cheaper than buying a book. Merely go to
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/ and search for any great work of
literature and it shall be found.

Of course, everything I said does not apply to the average student. However, for the student that enjoys the tools that laptops offer for academics, it
is an invaluable tool. I think introducing technology into schools today
suffers from much the same problem as U.S public schools do on a broader
level - no matter what new and innovative teaching method you may have, the students that don't want to learn will not. While engaging the students with
images and technology may help, the students have to meet you half way
there.

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago

Always looking for contracts!
http://www.knowprose.com/node/9786

New!: http://www.OpenDepth.com
http://www.knowprose.com