Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Please vote up before the haters take it down, and discuss:

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/78rjk/allowing_unicode_operators_in_d_similarly_to/

Andrei

I'm unsure about this idea.

I don't know if it would be worthwhile, but I would say there are two aspects that likely would need to be observed for this to work out favorably:

* Having non-unicode versions of the symbols/keywords available in Unicode, such that non-Uunicode editing and viewing is always possible as a fallback. This has some important consequences though, such as making Unicode-symbol-usage unable to solve the shortage of brackets for, for example, the template instantiation syntax (because an alternative ASCII notation would still be necessary).

* Having a way to directly input the Unicode symbols in the keyboard. One reason is because of typing succinctness, and another, is because I find the alternative (have the editor/IDE automatically change an ASCII character sequence into a Unicode symbol) to have several disadvantages: First is that it doesn't work outside the editors/IDEs configured to do so, (which is a bummer, there is actually plenty of code written outside that: newsgroups, articles, forums, bug reports, IRC, etc.). Second, I personally like that the editor always require exactly N backspaces to erase N typed characters[*].

So, anyone knows if it is possible on Windows (I believe in Unix it is) to configure your keyboard mapping with custom settings? For example, if I press AltGr-O, it inputs some Unicode character of my choosing?

[*] As a sidenote, this is also why I don't like having my editor configured to insert 4 spaces on TAB-press. Unless, the editor is also smart enough to delete the 4 spaces on one backspace/delete and move 4 spaces on one move cursor operation (arrow key press).

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate