>> But that has the same problem.  Cygtools don't understand windows
>> paths so barf when you say "grep c:\foo.txt"  But the Windows shell
>> only will only autocomplete Windows-style paths.
>>
>> I've found the gnuwin32 tools to work a little better on that front.
>>
> Wha???
>
> The "grep" tool doesn't read the path. The *shell* interprets the path and
> passes the text to the program. That's how all the gnu tools are able to
> pipe their results from one tool to the other.
>
> Or at least, that's how I assume it works.

No, that's how it works with the Bash shell and most Unix shells, but
the Windows console doesn't do that stuff.  It's up to each app to
interpret and expand wildcards like *.txt.  So the cygwin progs must
be explicitly checking to see if they got a * from a stupid DOS
console and doing the glob themselves.  But the implementation is
apparently imperfect since it doesn't work on full DOS paths with
wildcards.

--bb